Friday, July 2, 2010

Davis Memorial Hospital and Free Wheelchair Mission

Last Tuesday, uncle Neville had to go to the hospital for outpatient surgery. We went to Davis Memorial Hospital, an Adventist hospital in Georgetown. I was so excited to meet a number of doctors and nurses who were on a mission trip from Dayton Ohio to perform hundreds of free surgeries for patients in the area. Many of the doctors and nurses were also alumni from my medical school, Loma Linda University! I think we got some special treatment ‘cause I had a common link with the medical staff ;0). One of the coolest things I’ve ever seen was the makeshift wheelchairs they had at the hospital. I never would have thought to put a wheelchair together this way. Any of the patients who need to be transported throughout the hospital via wheelchair get to sit in one of these! It seems that they're pretty comfortable, according to Uncle Neville. Apparently, they were made and donated to the hospital by this group: www.freewheelchairmission.org. All it takes is $59.20 to make and deliver one of these chairs to a person in need in a developing country anywhere in the world. Amazing ingenuity!!! I'm thinking of building a fundraising team for them on my next LA marathon run. Let me know if you're interested in joining me!



No comments:

Post a Comment