Friday, June 11, 2010

Linden, Guyana

The Linden Museum is an amazing place. I was impressed to learn of the rich history of this town. I also discovered that my family played a significant role in he development of the town. In fact, one of the Mosely uncles (related by marriage) served as mayor of the town for some time. I was given a tour of the museum by an enthusiastic 18 year old Lindener. There was so much information about this amazing town, and I couldn't photograph or record anything!! So, I found this website to give you a view of what this town is all about!

http://www.guymine.com/photos.aspx
This is the view of the Demerara river from the village of Mackenzie in Linden. Wismar village is located on the opposite side of the river. This huge ship tranports bauxite from the mines in Linden up the river to Georgetown, where is is processed and sold. Bauxite mineral is rich in aluminum.

My cousin Jewel is on the left, and Trudy is on the right. Trudy works for a health center in Linden to provide counseling, HIV/AIDS education, STI testing and various other services to youth in Linden. She is also working on the corporal punishment study in the secondary schools with Jewel. She was born and raised in Linden and served as an excellent tour guide for my visit. Here she is describing this big ship on the Demerara river.






No comments:

Post a Comment